12 May 2008

Pay It Forward Exchange

I love the whole concept of Random acts of kindness and Pay it forward. I like the idea that good will and positive spirits can be passed from one person to another. It is a reminder that our actions can have a direct impact on people who we don't know and may never meet. This is what led me to join the Random Acts of Kindness group on Ravelry. It is also the reason that I continue to participate in Freecycle type groups in spite of the more disturbing aspects of the official entity and some of the internal problems of the groups.

I know that there are a great many things in my possession that really don't need to belong to me. Things that are still useful in spite of the fact that I no longer have a use for them. I've spent way more time than I'd like to admit holding on to these things intending to put them in a garage/yard sale. While they might actually be worth some money, or I might get a tax credit for donating them to a charitable thrift organization, instead, they remain in the house cluttering up my life and preventing me from enjoying the space where I live. It is really wonderful when I can find, through one of these resources, someone who genuinely needs or wants something that is merely occupying space in my life.

While browsing the May wish lists on the Random Acts of Kindness group on Ravelry this morning, I found a post that caught my attention. I'm not sure what about it grabbed me but I looked at the person's profile and then clicked over to her blog. Once there, I saw a post about a Pay It Forward Exchange. I've cut and pasted (and then re-formatted and adapted) the rules for the exchange from MochaMom's blog, "life as I know".

It’s the Pay It Forward Exchange. It’s based of the concept of the movie Pay it Forward where acts or deeds of kindness are done without expecting something in return, just passing it on, with hope that the recipients of the acts of kindness are passed on.

So here’s how it works:

I will make and send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment to this post on my blog requesting to join this PIF exchange.

I do not know what that gift will be yet, and it won’t be sent this month, probably not next month, but it will be sent (within 6 months) and that’s a promise!

What YOU have to do in return, then, is pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog.

Now for my variations on the rules... Nothing major, just a couple little things to take into account the things that I know about (at least some of) the readers of this blog...

1.) In your comment, tell me a little bit about yourself. There are so many types of crafts that I do that I'd like to have some idea of what you'll like before I make your gift. (i.e. if you're highly sensitive to fragrance, a scent bottle with an extra BPAL imp might be a really bad gift... On the other hand, I've spent quite a bit of time in forums where it would be the perfect gift...)

2.) As much as I like the idea of recipients paying it forward through their blogs, I know that not everyone has or wants a blog. If you're one of those people who has no blog and no desire to create one, you can still participate if you post the promise in an online forum where you participate. Include the link in a follow-up comment so that I can check out the forum. (Hopefully, one or more of your PIF recipients will be bloggers who can continue the blog part of the exchange... maybe the rest will continue it in other forums that they frequent.)

That's it. Two little changes/additions but basically the same concept as the one posted on MochaMom's blog. I look forward to learning more about you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok I am in. I would say you already know me well enough ;) but please if you have questions shoot me a message. I keep toying with the idea of partaking in this type of thing but then I never make the step to do so and now I shall. :)

Terese said...

This sounds like fun. I've been toying with the idea of participating in something like this, but I've just never taken the step and done it. The first thing you should now, though, is that I live in Sweden, so I'll only participate if you're okay sending something that far?

What do I like..? Well I really love your jewelry, your beads look absolutely stunning. Especially things like in picture 2, 3, 5 and 7 in the post below here. Just to give an example of what style and color. I do like scents too, but I seem to get a headache from some perfumes. I also prefer fruity, light scents instead of heavier ones. Ehm, I'm not quite sure what other crafts you do, so I'm not sure what more to say, really. But I'm sure I'll like anything, I'm not picky. :)

You could also visit my blog, there should be some examples of what kind of things I like there. If you feel like stalking me on Ravelry my username is Natsuki. :P
I hope this is enough information for you to get some sort of idea about what to make, but if you have any questons, feel free to ask.

If you think it is okay for me to participate, then send me an email, comment, or pm me on Ravelry, and I'll post my ”Pay it forward”-blogpost as soon as possible.

Andi said...

Terese, I've been avoiding international shipping for several reasons but it seems to me that in this case shipping overseas is part of the spirit of the exchange. Sweden is no problem.

Erin... Too bad the rules say I need to mail you your surprise. I'd love to hold it hostage and make you come visit. :) Sprout was asking about you the other day.

lady1380 said...

Ooooh, I'm in!! It was the six month allowance that got me, it'll take me that long to pass anything on to anybody. Easily.

It was good to see you at the fiber festival!!